Sunday, August 17, 2008

You did what?

Ok, here's the storyline. I interviewed for the Director of Planning in April. I had lots of good indications from the Mayor, the City Manager and the Deputy City Manager that I would be a great candidate for the position. They ended up hiring someone else.

The new person had a completely different philosophy of urban planning than me. I started feeling terrible every day. I've had panic attacks, shakes and tremors and finally feeling like my adreniline wouldn't stop running - burning pain in my back and all down my left arm.

Last Monday I went back to the doctor with tremors and determined that the stress was really messing me up.

Thursday, since my expectations for the job had drastically changed since beginning thee years ago I quit.

I received a severance package that I think was well planned and fair.

The plan is that I'm going to be working for my friend Larry doing some consulting work for a little while - all the time looking for a new job with a city. So things are good. The best thing is: 1. I'm still officially employed by the consultant...2. I'm pretty sure there's going to be some job openings in the next couple of months as the new fiscal year begins October 1st.

We've planned for this eventuallity for a couple of months now.

But I'm feeling ever so much better. It was either the job or my health and family, and I chose the right one.

So, with the support of family, friends and church, I'll move on and there will be great things going on for me.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Wow. I didn't realize things had changed so rapidly for you.

Anyway, you made the right decision, and I'm sure you'll be fine... even if you do have to work for Larry for awhile!

Good luck!